21 November 2010

There's No Place Like Home

I am amazed that I have not yet written a blog with this title. I had to go back through my history to check because I was sure I had written something under this, but I had not.

Growing up The Wizard of Oz was in my top 5 most played movies of all time. My mom actually made me the glitter shoes... and I promptly wore them out.


I wanted a puppy to carry around in a basket, luckily Scoot (my cat) let me carry him around in random items... baskets, purses, boxes, my grandmother's ceramic bowl my dad got when she passed away. That's actually one of my favorite stories, my parents would feature that bowl at the center of our dining room table and Scoot assumed that they put it there for him to nap in. I would come home from school and look through the dining room window (which was next to the front door) and see Scoot sleeping in the bowl. I loved it. Then there was the one night when I got the bright idea to pick Scoot and the bowl up, balance it on my head and dance Chiquita banana style down the hallway. I'd like to pat myself on the back because I actually made it halfway down the hallway (I credit that to the odd amount of time I spent teaching myself to walk with a book on my head... that's what the princesses in the movies could do), but sadly as I took a step at the halfway point Scoot must have woken up and wondered where on earth his was and decided to jump out, which threw off my balancing act, and promptly catapulted the bowl against the wall at which point it chattered. Sorry Mom and Dad. I don't remember getting in trouble for that, but I assume I got at least one "You're in hot water Jack" from my dad.


So yes, Scoot was a fantastic cat, but back to The Wizard of Oz. I can't count the number of times during the Cowardly Lion's "If I were the King of the forest" that I threw on the afgan my other grandmother made us and acted it out. I always loved the end when Dorothy was back home, and not only back home but with all her new friends and family members that she met in the technicolor dreamland.

I was quite the homebody when I was little. I was the little girl that always called her parents during sleepovers to have them come pick her up. Unless my sister was there, there wasn't a chance I was making it through the night. When I was little I lived by Dorothy's words.

As I've gotten older I have obviously branched out, I have learned that I can make wherever I am a piece of my lifelong home. I like life this way, I have little "homes" and families everywhere. I only hope that as I continue life I can build new little homes in my heart all across the globe.

Currently I am working on creating my newest "home." I'll put pictures up once it's completed.

1 comment: