26 August 2010

Windows or a glass house?

A house without books is like a room without windows. ~Heinrich Mann

If Heinrich Mann is correct, than my house is all windows. There is no room for floors, doors, or closets, every surface would have to be a window. Why you may ask? The answer is quite simple, I am addicted to books, yes... I am a bibliophile. Shocking, but true. I contemplated a 12 step program and then decided why? I don't really have a problem. Since when has reading been a problem? ;-)

To be honest I am well aware that I have a problem. You see, I don't just buy lots of books and read them... I buy lots of books. If I'm in a foul mood, what do I do? Go buy a couple of books. If I'm way too early for an interview and there is a bookstore nearby I will stop in and pick a few up for a quick pick me up. Where others have starbucks or recreational drugs, I have books. I believe that it may be possible that I actually cost Barnes and Noble money with their membership program, but I'm not going to worry about that.

So how bad is my addiction? I believe it is possible that I have enough books to start a small library. Granted a library focused on only the classics, art crime, girlie beach reads and a couple of other genres mixed in. I also have an extensive collection of museum catalogues, one for each museum visited (minus two in Rome, because I already knew my luggage would be over) and lots on art and art history.

I am very excited to be reunited with the bulk of my collection in the coming months. I have finally procured a full time job and plan to move into a new apartment in late October/early November. The most exciting part of this all? I get to start to realize one of my biggest life goals, to have a personal library. I've always wanted a library. It started with Beauty and the Beast (and me saying, "Mom, I want a library with a ladder") and only intensified when I saw my desired library portrayed in reality (not cartoon form) in Meet Joe Black.

As part of this library craze, I am also quite specific about what kinds of books I buy. I (with limited exception) will buy only hardcover books, because seriously, what kind of library is filled with paperback books? I have become very fortunate over time as many books that I have acquired for art crime research are now out of print.

So back to my library. The new apartment I am looking at has a den, and I intend to line those walls with bookshelves and have my first attempt at a library. Feel free to stop by and check it out once it's set up.

3 comments:

  1. you forgot to mention the entire section of your library that could be devoted to vampires! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee hee I tried to hold back some of my library things... I also didn't mention that I am having a custom book plate made... yep... addiction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To feed your book addiction (because I'm an enabler) you should come up here to the Strand. Seriously, best book store ever! (I got the entire Harry Potter series in hardback there for under $50)

    ReplyDelete